Friday, March 21, 2014

My thoughts on Feminism




Before or after you read my blog, make sure to listen to "Reflection" by Christina Aguilera video that I posted at the top. It will bring this blog post to it's full circle.

I've always loved Mulan. She was and still is my favorite Disney princess (with the exception of Elsa from "Frozen").

What I always admired of Mulan though, was her strength and struggles. She obviously wasn't meant to "be the perfect bride, or a perfect daughter". Regardless of sexuality I think, especially as women (particularly Mormon women), we are faced with so much confusion. We are told by some that being a Mother is what we were born to do. But I've come face to face with many women in the church that do not have the desire to become a Mother at all. And they get scrutinized for it. And then we are told by others that it is not your first priority to be a Mother but...you should definitely strive to marry in the temple. But once again, we must recognize the women who do not have the opportunity or just to do not want to get married in the first place. Does that make them any less allegeable to enter into the Kingdom of God? If so, why? Because they happen to not be the cookie-cutter women from the 1950's?

For example, I was really hurt by one of the former Young Women President's statement in a general conference. She may of meant no harm, but I feel that some Leaders in the Church add their biases a little too much than necessary.


"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity"

Who are...the women of the world? Seriously. So all of a sudden women who are tough are women of the world? What kind of message are you sending for the young women of the younger generation. "Be gentle, never be tough or firm...(add a sexist comment) and don't forget to submit yourselves to your husband". Let's cut the bull. Just because someone is famous or has fortune, doesn't make them any less than the women in church. Just because some women may come off as tough, does make them "worldly" women. And hey you, yeah you! If you're a woman who's struggling with your identity because you are constantly told not to be brave and tough...do what your gut tells you! Personally for me, I can't be tender. It just doesn't work for me. Why try to be something your not?

I, for one, am known to be pretty tough. You can just ask my sister. But my sister has told me that if I wasn't tough and firm in my convictions, she would never have the courage to stand for what SHE believes in. Funny. My sister never has ever complimented me on my "tenderness". She actually resents it when I'm too soft...she'll tell me "Come on, Erin. Be brave." BRAVE can be tough or tender. Men can be tough and tender. Children can too. The point is this; Don't define how women should be or act. Define how EVERYONE should act, and make sure to remember that all people aren't the same.

Oh and something else; Stop trying to force all the women in the Church to be nurturers and "tender". We all need understand that we are growing in a world that isn't like it used to be. And sure, we shouldn't conform to the ways of the world. But does that mean we have to give up our personal convictions and personality traits for "tenderness". Um, no. I don't think so.

And one last thing; there are such things as feminists who happen to be Mormon. And for all you housewives extremists, crying out "We hate feminists"....just remember that without them....you wouldn't have the opportunity to vote or even voice your opinion. So, think before you speak.

Now don't get me wrong, if you want to be a stay at home mother, go for it. But don't think your whole life is centered around motherhood.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is yes; I am a feminist. But what woman isn't? I believe feminism is about embracing your womanhood, no matter who you may be or act like. Whether you like dressing up or sporting it out or both...WHO CARES. Just be you. God's got your back.

TO conclude this blogpost, I am assuming you already have watched Mulan.

She is a tough cookie, to say the least. And she was strong as iron. And she wasn't your typical princess either. She went against the norm. Now would you consider her a woman of the world? No. I would consider her a person of STRENGTH and DIGNITY. No matter what religious background you are...You will always be a woman of God. And don't you think any less. Regardless if you're a softie or a tough cookie, you are worthy in God's eyes.

Now this feminist is out. Peace and love. And don't forget to be kind to one another.


No comments:

Post a Comment